Attention GRASS Users!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 1 20:53:21 EDT 1999

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 01:00:22PM -0500, Bruce Byars wrote:
> > A new on-line forum called GRASSnet has been started that will replace
> > the majordomo mailing list.  We have been working with USA-CERL on

> If you wanted an additional web interface, that would be very good, too.
> Just replacing the mailinglists with a webbased discussion interface
> will be more usefull in some respects and less usefull in other
> respects, but overall you will loose usability over a mailinglists
> with webarchive.

> Well I don't think it will be possible replace mailinglists.
> Other free software developments also doesn't show that trend.
> Slashdot e.g. is very successful for general, but almost everything
> in the big projects GNOME  (www.gnome.org) and Debian (www.debian.org)
> happens in mailinglists.  (Except for tracking and archiving bugs, which
> is no interaction.)

  I want to add my voice here, too. Mail lists are several orders of
magnitude more useful than are web-based lists. For example, I will
fetchmail several times a day and read the results in pine. However, I may
fire up Navigator once a day to check a web site or two. Mail lists are much
more useful -- IMO -- for the kind of self-help interactions we have here.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.
2404 SW 22nd Street
Troutdale, OR 97060-1247  U.S.A.
+ 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax)
rshepard at appl-ecosys.com