How to compile GRASS on Digital Unix 4.0?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Wed Mar 24 12:45:29 EST 1999

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:38:27AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Today I received a request for GRASS on Alpha (Digital) with the
> Digital Unix 4.0, compiling with the C compiler.

The Unix Version of Digital is also called OSF1 and alpha machines
are 64bit.

> These people get compiling errors - I would like to help
> them but I do not have such a machine?
> Is there anybody with such experience?
UWM has some alpha machines.
I got most parts of GRASS5.0 compiled. It was a mess, though.
Tcl/tk GRASS also runs.

Bill Hughes helped me then to get it actually running.
His patch for the 5.0b source code contains modifications by me and
and is highly recommendable anyway, because it contains various source
code improvements and error fixes.

http://grasshopper.grasshoppernet.com/~bhughes/

My development space is highly restricted here, so I could not
help Bill as much as I wanted to.

	Bernhard