Sid images

Luis F. Franco luis.franco at icp.pt
Fri May 7 06:30:53 EDT 1999

Joe, I haven't tried it yet but there is a port to linux, aix ... etc. in
their site.

Maybe what I was sugesting was something like having a new format in grass
that would create the notion of "image", besides the raster, vector and site
format. Or else, create a abstract layer that would "mask" how that image is
stored (tiff, bmp , sid,...) and develop a interface with the raster
libraries, so it could be drawn in the d.mon monitor.

It could be called "image raster"... You could if you like to take out the
pixels individually but only through the library because the file itself
would be in an image format.

You can take a look at the java component that lizardtech has in their page.
Instead of the viewer that as wavelet kind of look, the image appears one at
a time:

http://mis.lizardtech.com/sid/bin/show_java.plx?width=640&height=480&image=A
tlanta.sid&client=sample

Maybe something like that could be done to interface with the image. The
compression is really amazing...

Luís Franco