creating hydrogrphically correct dems

Matt.Wilkie Matt.Wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Oct 1 20:17:33 EDT 1999

>> Can anybody out there direct me to technical papers on how to create
>> hydrographically correct elevation models?
>
>  Please be more specific. What are you trying to do and what
>is deficient with your data?

We are creating elevation models from contours and sparse spot heights.
The resultant dems show significant benches at the contour locations.
When watercourses are used as breaklines, the benches are broken up
somewhat but not sufficiently.  We do not want to rely on filtering to
"clean" up the data if there are other appoaches out there.

In my internet searches so far I have found a great deal of information
on who has dems and where to get them, but precious little info on how
to actually create them and what the possible approaches are.

I'm not looking for information tied to any particular program or
computing platform, but methodologies and pitfalls.

cheers,

-matt