creating hydrogrphically correct dems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 4 15:46:34 EDT 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Matt.Wilkie wrote:

> Thank you for your pointers to more info. I'll let you know how things
> work out.

Matt,

  I'm glad that you wrote back because I didn't have your address. Over the
weekend I did a lot of GRASS reading, particularly Markus' introductory
paper.

  There is good discussion in the paper about the modules which can be used
to create DEMs and otherwise manipulate data.

  For example, there is a module which will decompose contour lines into
elevation points. There are also several interpolation methods (Krieging,
Inverse Distance Weighted, etc.) and modules (both raster and site) already
set up. I'm surprised that you didn't find something which would work with
your data.

  I think that you should handle the point/site data separate from the
contour data. You can combine the two DEMs afterward.

Anyway, just some thoughts,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com