r.in.hdf compilation on grass5.0beta3:success

ion mateescu imatees at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 6 12:11:31 EDT 1999

Hello,

Version 5 is a major update completely rewritten to address some
shortcomings of previous versions (like inability to work with files > 2GB
and a change in the main sponsors of the program :-). The data model has
been changed. The main HDF-EOS release is still version 4 and major
platforms like Modis and
Landsat have no plan to change to version 5. So I suggest you don't try to
use version 5 of the library.

Regarding the little_endian issue: the library writes platform independent
files. Because you read the files in through the same interface, the
little_endian - big_endian shouldn't be an issue. I suspect the 2 zoomed
out images from the upper quarters to be "browse" images  - reduced
resolution images, that a user will see before downloading the entire file
if he uses a web interface like EDG. Try compiling with 4.1.3. My guess is
that it will work.

Ion Mateescu
Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
Columbia University