Different users on the same mapset

Conn Copas conn.copas at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Oct 13 22:58:00 EDT 1999

Luca Palmeri <lpalmeri at ux1.unipd.it> writes:

> Ok now I understand. Each user has his own mapset and can work only on
> that.

Last time I looked (which is a couple of releases ago) users may only _write_ to
their own mapsets. They typically can _read_ both the PERMANENT mapset, and
other users' mapsets in the same location, unless those users have explicitly
blocked read access. See the docs for g.access and g.mapsets.

> My concern was on using multiple grass shells on different mapsets at
> the
> same time from different machines in NFS. Given that grass do not allow
> the same
> user to run multiple session I was thinking that one solution was to use
> different users in the same location, all accessing to the same mapsets.

That restriction on multiple sessions can be bypassed by a simple edit of
etc/GIS.sh, by removing all the locking code. Alternatively, bypass that
front-end file completely by simply issuing Grass commands at the Unix prompt
(but you need to set a few environment variables in order to be able to do
this).

Obviously, if you are attempting to create some generic Grass user in a
distributed environment, then users will potentially be able to corrupt each
others' files, as well as a few other problems to do with maintaining consistent
regions and monitor selections.

--
Conn V Copas
Information Technology Division