License needed!

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Mon Oct 18 17:56:32 EDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Sorry to bother you with that topic again,
> but the matter is of great importance for the GRASS community.
>
> 	GRASS still does not come with a real license [1].
>         --------------------------------------------------

Yes, indeed.   This is a matter of great importance to the GRASS
community.  In fact, given the role of GRASS as almost the only
"OpenSource"  or "Free" GIS around, this is a matter of great importance
to the entire Free Software community.

I spent last week at the Atlanta Linux Showcase with members of the
debbian group and they convinced me that the current license situation
will keep GRASS out of the Linux mainstream, unless it is corrected.

Hence, I suggest putting GRASS under a freer license like GPL or LGPL.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist
                                          Portland Linux/Unix Group
                                          1440 NE 59th
                                          Portland, Oregon 97213

  David Mandel - Linux Evangelist                Avalon Technology Group
  VP - Training & Software Development               0607 SW Idaho St.
  (503) 246-3630 Voice                            Portland, Oregon 97201
  (503) 246-3124 Fax                          http://www.avalongroup.net
       Linux&Dual Boot Systems * Linux Networking * Linux Training