Major problem trying to install 5.0beta3 for linux

R. Joe Brandon rjoe_brandon at iname.com
Wed Oct 20 15:21:26 EDT 1999

>>   Not that I saw. In the /binary directory there was only the tarball. Once
>> I untarred it grass5install.sh was in the /usr3 directory.
>
>Hmm... I remembered seeing something about the install script and did some
>checking.  It's on the German mirror site.  The binary directory has subdirs
>for different platforms, each linux subdir has grass5install.sh as a separate
>file along with the tarball and COPYRIGHT, LICENCE, WHATS_NEW, and
>REQUIREMENTS
>html files.
>
>	http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/
>
>I didn't see grass5.0beta3 on the keck ftp site, but I didn't look too hard.

The grass5install.sh I downloaded from the German mirror was giving an
unexpedted EOF at line 124.  So I copied the grass5install.sh from a
previous tarball (I had also downloaded from Keck and therefore did not see
the grass5install.sh and had gzip -d'ed it).  Once I ran the new
grass5install.sh on the .gz file I had no prolbems installing it on a
RedHat 6.0 box except that this install script was expecting a
/usr/local/grass-5.0b  directory and I was using a /usr/local/grass5.  So I
just changed my directory name to grass-5.0b and after the successful
install changed the directory name back to grass5.  Hats off to you folks,
nice job.

My only bug observation is the same one I noted in the original 5.0beta
release.  s.menu reporting functions are garbled and unreadable (i.e. site
characteristics, site reports).  Is anyone else having this problem?  I
have run into this on both a powerPC and a AMDK6-2 running Redhat versions
of Linux.

Grass aricle in Linux Journal
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/cgi-bin/frames.pl/lj-issues/issue63/2983.html

R. Joe Brandon