Announce: new GRASS 5 beta4 on Tuesday, 26. October

William L. Baker BakerWL at UWYO.EDU
Thu Oct 28 12:16:50 EDT 1999

Congratulations on the GPL for GRASS!  Those of us
who are contributors, but not part of the GRASS
development team may need clarification, however.

In the case of r.le, this software was never officially
contributed to GRASS, so in one sense it should not at
this point be part of the GRASS GPL.

However, my intention is to continue to make r.le freely
available, and so there may be an advantage to adding
the GPL to it directly.  The GPL would allow GRASS
to include r.le source code of course, and I would
have no problem with this.

We are seeking funding to upgrade r.le to make use
of floating point and true zero in GRASS 5.0.

What is the relationship we GRASS contributors should
develop?  Should we add the GPL license to our code
at the outset, then let GRASS include the code as the
GPL license allows?

Also, how does the GPL affect the development and sale
of Blackland GRASS?

Bill Baker
Univ. of Wyoming