Announce: new GRASS 5 beta4 on Tuesday, 26. October

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Thu Oct 28 13:06:34 EDT 1999

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 12:25:17PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> >  I'd let the distros sort it out. I know there's a Debian maintainer
> >  working on a 4.2 version *.deb.  Each distro might want to muck with
> >  the configuration anyway.

True.
We (Intevation) right now think about creating .rpms and .debs.

> >  However, as a bandwidth impaired user, I'd
> >  appreciate parts of the system being broken up into more manageable
> >  chunks. For instance, grass-core, grass-addins (SWAT, AGNPS, ANSWERS,
> >  etc), grass-docs(html,ps,etc..), grass-sample-data. That 20MB file is a
> >  long download (on a modem) if it succeeds, and many of thoses proggies
> >  don't seem to compile by default anyway.

> our plans are to split the GRASS into topic oriented
> packages, say (just an idea)
>
>  - base GRASS GIS backage
>  - hydrology package
>  - image processing package

This is very important.

> The way to distribute shall be via WWW: We want to create a
> web page where the user can select packages of interest and
> download them. Advantage: You do not have to download the
> big package any more but can select parts of the code.

Okay, but I hope that they are resonably numbered and can be accessed
by ftp, too. (The slick WWW interface sometimes get in the way. :) )

Look at the gimp plug-in registry for an example of a webinterface, btw.

	Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 			    (intevation.de)