intersection of polygons

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Sep 6 20:50:46 EDT 1999

Robb Hill wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have grass installed now and I am not sure if it will do what I need.
> Can someone help?
>
> Can I determine the set of polygons that results from the interection of
> two other sets of polygons?
>
> Seems simple, but I can't see how grass can do that.  Does grass do
> primarily visualization?
>
> Thanks
> Robb

Robb,
The strength of GRASS is in it's raster analyses capabilities. If you're
not familiar with GIS algorithms for raster data, I'd suggest looking at
some of the GRASS tutorials (check the Baylor site), or better yet, pick
up a copy of Dana Tomlin's "Geographic Information Systems and
Cartographic Modeling" (Prentice Hall, 1990).

There _is_ an operator for working with vector polygons as you mention -
see the g.manual page for v.cutter.
--
Best regards,
	-Malcolm

Malcolm D. Williamson                       malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Voice: 501-575-2734
12 Ozark Hall                                   Fax: 501-575-5218
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville AR 72701
http://www.cast.uark.edu/