Box Counting Method

Agustin Lobo alobo at ija.csic.es
Tue Sep 7 05:03:50 EDT 1999

I did something similar to study the sprectral response of
a high reolution sensor for each cell of a coarse resolution
sensor.

I just made an script (I think that I actually contributed to Markus N.)
that produces a numbered image, i.e., like r.clump but each pixel has
an individual integer value.

You could run a similar process for each given resolution and create a
suite of rasters (numbered.1, numbered.2, numbered.3 ...) that would
match as:

numbered.1:
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

numbered.2

 1  1  2  2  3  3  4  4  5  5
 1  1  2  2  3  3  4  4  5  5
 6  6  7  7  8  8  9  9 10 10

Then you select the resolution of your fracture maps
(0: no fracture; 1: fracture; if you have different types
of fractures, just add more categories) and use
r.stats with each numbered.x map and your fracture map,
to obtain, for each numbered.x, a file with 2 columns:

numbered.1  fracture
1             0
2             0
3             1
4             1
5             6

etc.

Export to your stats program and count the number of "1"
for each numbered.x. From this series you can calculate
the fractal dimension.

It might seem complicated, but it's not.

Agus

****NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBER*****
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
Lluis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona SPAIN
tel 34 93409 5410
fax 34 93411 0012