How to develop a dem map

Hal Mueller hal at seanet.com
Fri Sep 17 13:03:22 EDT 1999

At 5:50 PM +0200 9/17/99, Antonio Rodríguez Verdugo wrote:
>With s.surf.tps I only get a plain raster file with no appreciable data. I
>tried with s.surf.idw, and it seems to fit my needs. But when I run the
>d.3d module I get some "holes" or depression as if I put negative values,
>but it isn't the case. So I think I must tune up something.

You're simply running into the limitations of the interpolation
schemes.  Whenever you try to fill in holes in some data sets, you
need to understand the algorithm being used and judge its
appropriateness to your purpose.  There are many many schemes for
building surfaces from contours or points; none are correct for every
problem.

It sounds to me like you're choosing among GRASS programs because
they're readily available.  What you should be doing instead is
choosing a particular mathematical algorithm because it's the right
one for your problem.  Eventually you're going to need to write your
own replacement for these GRASS modules, implementing the scheme
you've chosen based on literature reviews or your own mathematical
formulation.

I suggest you take a look at Noel Cressie's book "Statistics for
Spatial Data", or perhaps spend some time hanging out on the Geostats
mailing list (send subscribe/unsubscribe requests to
ai-geostats-request at gis.psu.edu).

----
Hal Mueller
Seattle, Washington    hal at seanet.com