ps.map questions

Radim Blazek Radim.Blazek at dhv.cz
Thu Apr 13 07:19:39 EDT 2000

Rich Shepard  wrote:

>  1) Where can I specify the paper size for the map? For example, my HP

Papers are defined in $GISBASE/etc/paint/psdevices as 'devices' and selected by ps.select

>  2) What do folks do for a north arrow? If someone has a collection, is it

You can create any picture in .ps format and use 'psfile' option to include to output.
( I would like add option 'epsfile' which could specify also also position,
scale and rotation sometimes)

Markus Neteler wrote:

> please read additional ps.map.new.html:

Is old. Up to date html man is attached and man should be under CVS
(could Markus Neteler replace it on Web by new one)

> - cwidth > plotted line width  =  cwidth * category

> label label for map - for legend labels of vectors

And:
'ref' for vector line ( justification, fill appendixes of line) and
'labels' reads ROTATE: from paint/labels/file.
+ probably twice as many bugs =>

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Suggestion:
>  - remove p.map
>  - remove ps.map.old
> Rename p.map.new to p.map
> Rename ps.map.new to ps.map

ps.map.new is not tested enough now and we should add more options. Therefore
I think that it is not time to replace ps.map.old (ps.map) by ps.map.new.
It could cause problems. I expect ps.map.new to be module with more options
but buggy for few months.

Request for help:
offset, coffset and ref are marked as experimental in man because I could not find
any free function for creating PARALLEL LINE in distance and I do not know how to write it
better than it is now. Do anybody know about such function freely available.

Radim