SDTS file conversion

Skip shaak at teleport.com
Thu Apr 20 12:29:48 EDT 2000

I am having some difficulty converting sdts files to a format GRASS can use. I about every document/e-mail//help file I can find on converting sdts files but have run into a few snags. So far the only workable solution I have found is converting the files using sdts2dxf.exe within winNT. I tried using sdsts2dlg.exe in combination with dlgbld.exe and dosmsf.exe but dlgbld bombs. Sdts2dlg seems to work fine. I could stick with using sdts2dxf but I've run into problems with importing some converted files into GRASS. Oh, I also tried Microdem in winNT but it also bombs.

I'd really like to be able to convert the files within linux. I had hoped to get the DEM data conversion working properly but I can't get the sdts utils to compile. I read the document discussing how to import USGS 7.5min DEM data into GRASS. I downloaded the proper files and followed the procedures for compiling the files. The fips library files compile without a problem; however, when I try to compilie the sdts utilities I get the following error message:

gcc -o demoutdemout.c -Wl,/usr/local/lib/libfips123.a
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [demout] Error 1

Is there a trick to getting these utilities to compile? What other options are available in linux  to convert sdts files into a format GRASS can use?

This seems to be an ongoing problem with very limited documentation on the GRASS website.

Skip

Skip Haak
Natural Resource Solutions
950 Lloyd Center, Suite 48