SMP/Cluster-GRASS: closure

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Apr 22 12:46:16 EDT 2000

  I've dug more deeply into requirements for running GRASS on a
multiprocessor or cluster system (such as a beowulf cluster). What I've
learned are:

  1) It can be done.

  2) It is too expensive to be practical for us.

  Apparently, The Portland Group is one of a few compiler/tool developers
out there (NAG being another one). A 2-developer license for their cluster
development kit (CDK) costs $2,500 plus $500/year for minor upgrades and
technical assistance. Since I'm the only developer here, that's much to much
money to spend on a single project for a single user.

  Ergo, while it was a nice concept, it's not for us. For a team using the
tools for more than one project, or with more than one developer, it may be
a very practical approach.

'Nuff said,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com