[GRASSLIST:1232] Re: fitting grass into the Linux file system

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Dec 7 16:52:34 EST 2000

Hi Roger,

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:42:19AM -0700, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been running on grass5 beta7 and will be upgrading soon to beta 9
> (er.. beta 10 now, I guess).  I was wondering how other people have fit
> grass into their Linux file systems.
>
> For the beta7 installation I put the source distribution under
> /usr/local/src and installed the compiled binaries under /usr/grass5b7.
> I also placed the database under /usr/grass5b7.  I want to change that for
> the new distribution.
>
> What do you think?  I'm thinking of keeping the source distribution in
> /usr/local/src as before, but installing the binaries under
> /usr/local/grass and the database somewhere under /home.  I think that
> setup is more consistent with "official" recommendations on the Linux file
> system, but will it create major headaches in setup?
As a long term Linux user I can say:

I have my sources in:
 /home/neteler/src

When compiling with
 ./configure
 make install

the binaries will go into:
 /usr/local/grass5
and the grass5 startup script into:
 /usr/local/bin

The grassdata is for me:
 /home/neteler/grassdata5

(not to be specified anywhere during compilation, but on GRASS startup).
I would not put the grass database into /usr if you are not a team
(because you have to manage the permissions).

This are working settings (tested for years now).

Cheers

 Markus