Libre Yukon DEM

Matt.Wilkie Matt.Wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Feb 29 20:22:32 EST 2000

http://polarcom.com/~patawi/GIS

Yukon 180 Meter DEM

     A moderate quality Digital Elevation Model covering the Yukon
     Territory, Canada with 180 meter pixels.

     Terms & Conditions of Use

     The YT180MDEM is released under the GNU Public License, v2. For
     purposes of interpreting the GPL in connection with this work:
     The database is distributed in the form of compressed text files.
     These will generally be processed into to another form to provide
     improved space or reference efficiency before use. The text form
     should be considered "source code" and the other form should be
     considered a "compiled program".

     The nutshell summary is: you are free to use, modify and
     distribute this data as you wish, provided you do not attempt to
     restrict others from doing the same.

     Commentary

     First created a couple of years ago. In terms of quality, it's
     mediocre. Most of the problems should be easily visible once a
     relief or sun shade formula is applied. I've not filtered the dem
     in the belief that artifacting should be easily visible to the
     end user.

     The DEM was calculated with Pamap GIS from 1:250,000 scale
     contour data available as part of the Canadian National
     Topographic Database (NTDB).

     This dem was first given away in 1997 under "copyrighted but free
     for any use provided proper accredation is given" license terms.
     To the best of my knowledge the only organization who (may) have
     used it is the GLOBE Project.

     Aside from licensing, other major changes include re-projecting
     to unprojected geographic lat-longs and splitting the single dem
     into 54 tiles organized to accord with the Canadian National
     Topographic System (NTS).

     Although the GPL is normally applied to software, I've chosen to
     follow the lead of Bruce Perens who released the U.S. Street Map
     Database (known as the TIGER(tm) dataset when distributed by the US
     Census) under the GPL.

Free Data Advocacy

Rerelease of the YT 180 Meter DEM was in part inspired by the efforts of
The Canadian Free Geospatial Data Committee. Please visit the site and help
this worthy endeavour.

Thank you.

-matt