GRASS on WIN/Cygnus forthcoming

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jan 4 14:44:16 EST 2000

Hi all,

good news: John Huddleston managed to compile
GRASS 5 under Cygnus compiler on Windows. The
code is updated, the next release will contain
the changes.

But there is still a major problem:  The graphical
output does not work due to missing "fifo" support
in Cygnus compiler. In past a few people already
programmed a solution but I do not know where to
access (moon.cecer.army.mil is "GRASS free" now :-( )

There are obviously two ways to overcome the problem:

 - use sockets as opposed to fifos
 - use message queues instead of fifo's (this was once available
          as MessQ.tar.Z on moon) due to old mails.

We need volunteers to change the fifos. I am shure
this port will improve the acceptance of GRASS.
Replacing fifos the GRASS 5 code would be compliant
for many platforms.

Thanks in advance

 Markus Neteler