[OSRS] Re: Future direction (and a rant).]

Allan Doyle adoyle at intl-interfaces.com
Thu Jan 6 08:52:10 EST 2000

I had to subscribe to the list before being able to send this... this is
need to also go to osrs at remotesensing.org

... error message and long email headers cut out ...

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 08:33:48 -0500
From: Allan Doyle <adoyle at intl-interfaces.com>
Subject: Re: [OSRS] Re: Future direction (and a rant).
To: Philip Sargent <Philip.Sargent at computer.org>
Cc: osrs at remotesensing.org, grass <GRASSLIST at baylor.edu>

Since Philip cc'ed me in front of the world, here, I guess I'll chime in.
First off, I was the person at BBN responsible for the original
development of OpenMap (but not one of the principal coders of the Java
version), and was the person who convinced BBN to release it as open
source. Now I've started a company dedicated to building open interfaces,
currently focusing on GIS, but branching out into other areas. So much for
truth in advertising.

I always thought that OpenMap+GRASS would make a dynamite combination.
There would be many ways to go about it, given the current state (i.e.
flexibility) of OpenMap. (There are also some technical issues that would
need to be fixed).

At the same time, it might be a good idea to look at making a server
version of GRASS that could conform to the Open GIS Web Map Server
Interface spec (currently an OGC RFC, likely to become an OGC spec in
February - see http://www.opengis.org/techno/rfc10info.htm )

I can't devote enough time to be the lead that Frank was postulating, but
if there's enough momentum, I'd be happy to help look for some funding
sources to get this done (either OpenMap/GRASS or GRASS/WebMapServer).

	Allan