Future direction - GRASS GUI

Federico Di Gregorio fog at debian.org
Fri Jan 14 12:43:54 EST 2000

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Fraxinus's letter:
> Qt:
>
> I think the political issues on Qt and linux are solved, arent they? Isnt
> KDE GPL:ed? But on the other hand, Qt on windows is not free (if I remember
> it right).

no it isn't. and the fact that kde is GPLed is a *big* problem. qt can't
be linked w/ default gpl, but require an exception from *all* the authors.
it is very difficult for the kde people to obtain such an exception because
they (in the best free software fashion) base they work on some old code.
it is because of this problem that debian does not include the kde in main,
but only small parts of it (the ones w/ good licenses.)

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio [http://www.bolinando.com/fog] {Friend of Penguins}
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
                           Don't dream it. Be it. -- Dr. Frank'n'further