Beta 5 and its lockfile

bob at math.umn.edu bob at math.umn.edu
Wed Jan 19 10:38:40 EST 2000

> Hi Jim, hi Chris,
>
> what operating system you are using? I guess it is Linux. A current
> version?

bob at khusro[~] 92) uname -a
Linux khusro 2.0.38 #39 Sun Dec 5 21:40:25 CST 1999 i686 unknown

Which is to say, moderately current.  We will be up to 2.2 "soon."

> [...]
> > > I've had GRASS5beta4 running since October, I was hesitant to touch it but
> > > yesterday I uninstalled it and installed beta5. When I tried to run it and
> > > got:
> > >
> > >    GIS.sh line 23: 1308 Segmentation Fault $ETC/lock $lockfile$$
> > >    Unable to properly access /home/nydir/.gislock5
> > >                                Jim
> [...]
>
> Actually I have never seen this error (and working here at university
> with several *different* Linux PCs). I need more information about
> your systems.
>
> > FYI I got the same thing, did the same things, etc.  It seems that a bit
> > of housekeeping is needed in upgrading versions - not so bad, if one knows
> > about it, but annoying otherwise.
> > Adios,
> > Chris
> Of course this is not intended :-)

Of course.  ;^l

> As "lock" is unchanged since September 1999
> -rw-r--r-- neteler/user    105 1999-07-22 21:30 grass5.0beta/src/libes/lock/Gmakefile
> -rw-r--r-- neteler/user   2867 1999-09-16 11:41 grass5.0beta/src/libes/lock/lock.c
> -rw-r--r-- neteler/user    372 1999-09-16 11:41 grass5.0beta/src/libes/lock/try.c
> -rw-r--r-- neteler/user    189 1999-09-16 11:41 grass5.0beta/src/libes/lock/unlock.c
>
> it is surprising that the software behaves differently between beta4 and
> beta5. Perhaps you changed your system somehow?
>
> If you send further information, we will fix the problem! Others having
> this problem as well may join the discussion (here or personally)!
>
> Kind regards
>
>  Markus Neteler

The problem really seems to be with permissions.  Grass has to be installed
as root, but used as <whatever>.  Doing chmod on the appropriate files and
directories will IIRC fix the problem.  As I said, so long as I remember
where the problem is it can be repaired easily.

All of which is far simpler than dealing with the security, access, and
philosophical issues required to handle this more thoroughly.  :^)

Thanks.

Adios,
Chris
--
C.S. Cornuelle
School of Mathematics/MCIM, University of Minnesota
(612) 626-8930v, (612) 624-2333f, bob at math.umn.edu
Ferventer Vestite