v.in.shape and category values

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Jan 31 22:04:25 EST 2000

I'm trying to import a bunch of shapefiles into grass (5 beta 6) with
v.in.shape.  The problem is, though I specify an attribute field, the
category values do not show up. Am I missing a step, or is v.in.shape
broken? The files do me little good if I can't relate them to something.

BTW, the attributes are all 16 character strings -- if it matters.

On a related note, if I import point files, what do I have to do to turn
them into sites?  I get degenerate lines for topology, which don't plot.
I didn't see a v.to.sites or similar.

Thanks in advance