importing Arcview shape files

Andy Bernat abernatj at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 18:57:20 EDT 2000

Greetings,
I'm having trouble importing shape files, using Grass 5 beta 7 on a SuSE
6.3 system.  Running v.in.shape gives me a segmentation fault.  I
remember seeing some exchanges on an improved version of v.in.shape that
resides in the CVS tree.  However, I looked for it and couldn't find it
(probably because I know nothing about CVS!).  Would someone be so kind
as to (a) tell me how to get the new v.in.shape and (b) what to do with
it
once I get it.

Also, in the hope that I'd have better luck importing an ascii file than
had with the shape file, I exported the shape file from Arcview using a
shp2gen script, which created a simple ascii file with a .gen
extension.  However, when I tried to import it using v.import, grass
couldn't find it.  I tried putting it in all the subdirectories that
seemed
to make sense but Grass never found it.  Perhaps I need a specific
extension,
that isn't .gen?  So, if I could impose on the list for even more
advice, where does
one put files to import so Grass can find them?  Thanks in advance for
any advice/help.
Regards,
Andy Bernat