Debian GRASS

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 17:45:13 EDT 2000

Hi Eric

I'll confine my remarks to the main users' list now as there doesn't
seem to be any development issue for now.

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:45:02PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > Following on the recent announcement of development of RPM and RPMS
> > packages for GRASS, I believe it is high time that GRASS binaries are
> > available in .deb format for the convenience of those using Debian and
> > derivative distros. (Including possibly eventually a hook into embedded
> > GRASS).
>
> Here, here!
>
> Anyway, there was supposedly a debian developer already making a deb for
> grass (many moons ago) -- I haven't seen anything materialize, but you
> might contact him (check the developer's pages, I forget the name).

I'll look into that.

> It's gonna be a bit tricky deciding where to put things per Debian
> policy.  Frankly, I don't know that it would be too easy to do more than
> put most everything in /usr/lib/grass or some such.

usually packages like this have the main tree in /usr/share with any
approriate scripts/symlinks in /usr/bin, /usr/lib etc : but we don't
really have dynamic libs yet. So it shouldn't be too different from an
independent installation. Probably /usr/share/grass5.0 with the grass5,
gmake5 etc scripts in /usr/bin/

> Realizing that GRASS is a huge collection of programs, you might take a
> wait and see on the "segmentation" of core/docs/garden/contrib
> what-have-you.  Supposedly it's a goal to make that happen.

Perhaps in the first instance we'll see how the rpm's cross over. The
only issue is (for `official' debs), the signing of packages and who is
the official package manager.

David