GRASS and hyperspectral data

Henk Coetzee henkc at geoscience.org.za
Wed Jun 7 09:02:41 EDT 2000

Hi

Has anyone used GRASS for the analysis of hyperspectral data.

We are busy developing an airborne line-scanner, which is flown together
with a gamma-ray spectrometer, a magnetometer and in the future with an
electromagnetic system (look under airborne geophysics on
http://www.geoscience.org.za/geophys/index.htm ), all mounted in a
microlight. So far the results are extremely promising, but we are still
choosing software for the development of analysis methods. we will
eventually record about 128 bands, with wavelengths from around
200-2000nm (we hope to get a new sensor some time to look into the
SWIR).

In addition, we are recording gamma-rays between 100 and 6000keV in 512
channels, so some sort of hyperspectral facility would be useful.

This kind of facility will also be useful for future satellites.

Cheers

Henk