Implementation in postgres

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Jun 28 21:45:30 EDT 2000

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 07:20:55PM -0400, Scott Smith wrote:
> Having looked at the description of the PostgreSQL interface to GRASS, I
> am convinced that it would let me do what I'm trying to do.  The only
> question now is how to input the data I have into a postgres database,
> whether from what was loaded in the standard way or from the e00.

Easiest way would be to go back to Arc/Info an export all of your
attribute tables as some sort of delimited file. So, you'd have aat.foo,
pat.foo, foo.nat, etc. Then create a table for each one in Postgresql
and use the copy command to import the tables.  The GRASS interface is
for the attribute data -- not the spatial/topological data.  It's
somewhat difficult to represent topological spatial data in a relational
database (requires several cross referenced tables and can get messy).

> Is there a standard utility which will convert grass's dig format data
> into postgres format?  If not, is there an already written utility for
> input of e00 files to postgres?  Barring either of those, I would need
> to do it myself, which would require some knowlege of the schema that
> grass expects to find when accessing the data.
>
> If I were to produce the database myself, my planned schema would be one
> table for each of: polygons, lines and nodes with views for each
> coverage (Arc/INFO terminology here).  In addition, I would have tables
> for displays and projects which would not hold any fundamental data but
> would facilitate redrawing the maps with each change.
>
> The contents with field names and types of the three data tables would
> be as follows,:
>
> Polygons
> 	Coverage:varchar, PolyID:char, PolyN:char, Bounds:box,
> 	numArcs:int, arcIDs:char[], reversed:bollean[], nodeIDs:char[],
> 	polyIDs:char[], area:float, perimeter:float, centroid:point
> Lines
> 	Coverage:varchar, LineID:char, LineN:char, fNode:char,
> 	tNode:char, lPoly:char, rPoly:char, arcPath:path, length:float
> Nodes
> 	Coverage:varchar, NodeID:char, NodeN:char, Pos:point
>
> In addition, various coverages would have their own base tables which
> would contain data specific to that coverage.  For instance, roads would
> contain fields for function class, rt. number, etc.  A side benefit of
> this approach is that it would permit various analyses, such as
> aggregations, to be performed by the database that would otherwise have
> to be done manually.
>
> These fields are based on what I read about the format of e00 files and
> would therefore contain everything that is available to describe each
> coverage.  The question is what structure should the view take so that
> when any of the grass modules look query them, which the modules think
> are ordinary tables, they would find what they expect.  I would accept
> directions to check a set of functions and files in the source.
>
> On a separate note, I was looking through the e00 files and noticed that
> there were several instances where multiple features (lines, polygons)
> had the same feature-ID.  Would importing with the -i flag under such
> circumstances explain the problems I've been having with duplicates?
> Scott Smith

AFAIK, GRASS doesn't have any idea about things like regions, routes and
dynamic segmentation -- so those issues come up as well.  It's strength
is in raster/cell based analysis/modelling.

Anywho, if you're really interested in pursuing a PostgreSQL GIS type
thingy, I've been fiddling with various approaches over the last month
or two.  If the data models ever stabilize, I'll patch together some
import/export routines for GRASS.  I figure GRASS is a good place to
develop data and do analysis, but PostgreSQL can be an appropriate place
for publishing queryable data -- say for online applications where
you're more interested in a spatially enhanced databases than a full GIS
environment.

--
#! /bin/sh
echo 'Linux Must Die!' | wall