transfer arcview shape file to Grass raster file

D D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 7 18:12:55 EST 2000

Hi,

Pan Daiyan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Could someone tell me how to tranfer arcview shape file to GRASS raster file?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Daiyuan Pan

... with difficulty. At the moment, various ways of importing a shape
file
into GRASS don't really work because the labels are not assigned
correctly
( the most direct is the v.in.shape utility that comes with GRASS5).

If you could import a vector file you would then easily create a raster
with
v.to.rast. But this requires that all the polygons are imported with
proper
topology and are succesfully labelled, and as I mentioned few shape
files
will currently be imported properly.

We are preparing a fix for this to allow import of proper polygons and
correct labelling, but this may be a couple of weeks before it is
ready for testing. In the meantime you could perhaps use an ArcView
script
to rasterize the vector map. Then if you create a world file for the new
image
you can import it (as say a TIFF) with r.in.arctff. Sorry but i'm not
aware of
what scripts are available. Maybe you could check the ESRI website.

D Gray