v.proj, projection from lat/lon to tmerc

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Mar 20 11:41:09 EST 2000

hi,

i have a problem with v.proj (in grass 4.3 and grass 4.2.1).
I want to make a grid for the german messtischblaetter, which are always
sized 00d10' x 00d06', in gauss-krueger projection (transverse
mercator). So my idea was to create the grid with v.mkgrid in a lat/lon
location and use v.proj to project that vector file to my gauss-krueger
location.

But the projection does'nt work as expected:

my lat/lon location:
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
north:      52N
south:      49N
east:       10:30E
west:       7:30E
nsres:      0:00:05
ewres:      0:00:05
rows:       2160
cols:       2160
(vector file from v.mkgrid is ok, did run v.support and did a v.alabel)

my gauss-krueger location:
projection: 99 (Transverse Mercator)
zone:       0
north:      5763000
south:      5430000
east:       3600000
west:       3390000
nsres:      250
ewres:      250
rows:       1332
cols:       840

and the boundary of the projected vector file:
projection: 99 (Transverse Mercator)
zone:       0
north:      3582
south:      3372
east:       277
west:       148
nsres:      26.25
ewres:      25.8
rows:       8
cols:       5

If i set the location to the above values i can display a vector file
that resembles the desired shape.
The PROJ_INFO files are correct (false easting for gauss-krueger is
350000).

What's wrong with my attempt or with v.proj?
If i calculate a sites file for the corners and use PROJ.4 (external to
grass) to project them to gauss-krueger everything is fine.

many thanks in advance for an answer,

Andreas Lange