SGI compile

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Mar 24 04:40:12 EST 2000

Bill Brown - staff wrote:

> Once again, I'm trying to compile the CVS version under IRIX6.4 with gcc.
> Besides a lot of Gmakefile errors, things are going better than before,
> but the executables are huge!  About 3X what they used to be.  Is this
> because of gcc, IRIX6.4, or some compile option I don't have set right?
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

i compiled grass4.3 and grass5.0 under IRIX 6.2 with gcc 2.8.1 (some
problems due to IRIX 6.2 an my installation) and later with egcs 2.91
(with same problems). I think that gcc did not strip the executables,
when i used the "-Wl,-s" option to gcc that should invoke the linker
(gcc uses IMHO the IRIX ld32 linker with the n32 ABI), i got a
segmentation fault.

I ran a "find . -type -f | xargs -l5 strip" on the whole binary tree of
the installation and a gzipped tarball of grass5.0beta6 shrinked from
155 MB to 35 MB! I think a caveat is to use the IRIX version of strip,
the GNU version (which is not included in the gcc distribution) can
destroy the executables.

So my suggestion is to check if the "-Wl,-s" option is set and if all
executables are stripped. If no debugging must be done it is safe to
strip (remove all symbolic information) all binaries/libraries.

I have currently no time to further inspect the errors on IRIX 6.2, but
you can get the output from the compiling at:
http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange/grass/compile-grass43.txt and
compile-grass5.txt. If you have any suggestions, please mail me.

Bye,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net