fp and non-fp versions

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Mar 26 10:54:38 EST 2000

Hi Walter,

the GRASS 4.x versions are non-fp,
the GRASS 5.x versions support fp.

FP means: Floating point support in raster format.
GRASS 4.x can only save integer numbers in raster
format, GRASS 5.x additionally stores floating point
numbers. This is quite interesting to store e.g.
full ranges of angles (slope, aspect), height
information etc.

Other new features in GRASS 5.x are:
 - new sites format (to store multiple dimensions and attributes)
 - voxel raster format (grid3D)
 - DateTime library to have timestamps for raster and sites maps.
 - NVIZ visualization tool
 - recently: SQL support and interface to "R" statistical language

While GRASS 4.3 is the stable GRASS version (non-fp), the
"beta" GRASS 5.x offers more features but some bugs as well.
GRASS 5 is under heavy development. Most of the raster and
site modules are updated for fp support now, but a few modules
are still missing/not working. The latest version you
get from the GRASS-CVS repository.

Hope this helps

Markus Neteler

University of Hannover
Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology
Schneiderberg 50 * D-30167 Hannover
Tel: ++49-(0)511-762-4494 Fax: -3984