ESRI Shape Output (v.out.shape) !

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Wed May 17 13:29:25 EDT 2000

Alejandro Imass wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am getting some strange behaviour from v.out.shape !
>
> Some lines come out and some lines do not. I have spent more than 18
> hours trying to figure out a pattern on the behaviour of this function
> but I give up. There is something I do that makes the line appear but it
>
> seems completely random behaviour.
>
> Has anyone worked with this, and if so what could I be doing wrong?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Alejandro Imass
> Caracas, Venezuela

Hi

I found this myself when I tried to use it to export a grid that it
produced an excessive number of lines.

I don't know too much about the inner workings of this module. I
believs it uses v.out.arc to produce ungenerate format files,
then a third-party gen2shp library to build the shapefile.

I was going to develop a filter for this transfer myself, but
it is possibly not a high prioirity, because if you need this
function for practical use, I would suggest to export a digital
line graph with v.out.dlg. This is *very* accurate - I have used
it to transfer several layers of a 6,500 sq.km. coverage from
GRASS dig (in parts) to ArcView. And ArcView (and most GIS) will
easily import a DLG.

David