d.mon and colors

Carl Anderson candrsn at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 12:49:03 EDT 2000

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I'm using Grass5b7 binaries on SuSE  6.3.
> When starting a monitor with d.mon I get weird colors on my entire
> screen whenever the monitor is the active window. I tried giving different
> values for nlev but for any value I give I always get the same message:
>
> using default visual which is PseudoColor
> ncolors: 256
> Graphics driver [x0] started
>
> What do I need to do ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Moritz

GRASS is greedy for colors, so greedy that it often won't run under
enlightenment, gnome, KDE, or along with other open applications.  As a
short term fix for this need GRASS uses a  private colormap.  This will
appear as an animated palette, when your mouse  enters the monitor
window the palette changes so the colors in the window are correct.
When your mouse leaves the window the palette changes so the colors
outside of the window are correct.

If you change your display depth in /etc/X11/XF86Config
(or use Xconfigurator) to 16 or 24 or 32 depth the symptom (changing
colors) will go away.

Otherwise hang in there, eventually you will be able to choose
fewer colors in favor of a non animated palette.

C.

Carl Anderson
Fulton County, Georgia
Environment & Community Development