[GRASSLIST:1140] Re: global data set

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Nov 16 10:35:44 EST 2000

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 02:28:48AM +0100, Stefan Rothe wrote:
> [...]

The GMT is on the freegis CD. The documentation outlines how you
can convert GMT data to shapefiles:
	http://freegis.org/FreeGIS_CD/gmtdata.en.html

> > Perhaps we should prepare a new global dataset with some more
> > documentation. Any hints where to get data?

VMAP0 rev3, this is the successor of DCW.
We have the four CDs and can copy and send them out if you cover our
costs.
(and we should all lobby to get VMAP1 released from NIMA.)

> May be the pangaea-database is helpful? They provide coastline and
> bathymetric records of different resolution, normally for use with their
> software "PANMAP".
>
> Might be worth a glimpse: www.pangaea.de

There is some data available from:
	http://www.pangaea.de/Software/PanMap/

It would be interesting to know if PANMap is free software or not
(because they did not mention that source code is available.)

and if the the data is all free data (in the sense of freedom).

Then we could list it on freegis.org.
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)