[GRASSLIST:1167] Re: launching browser to read html manual pages

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Nov 21 11:30:28 EST 2000

mlennert at club.worldonline.be wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to launch the html browser (netscape) automatically to read the
> html man pages ? When I do the Ctrl-middle button, I get the message that it
> cannot find netscape (even though the path is correct) or that another error
> occurred, and that I should start netscape before. Is this a bug, or a
> configuration problem on my  side ?
>
> Moritz

Hi Moritz,

Please read first the text under Help->help on html-browser.

You should start netscape first on your display. Netscape (or another
browser that knows the -remoteURL() option on commandline) must be
running when you press the ctrl-middle mouse button. There is no simple
way of launching the browser automatically, as this would require dozens
of complicated checks on your window environment.

Please write in the first option of the Configure window (html browser
(netscape)) only the name of the browser (i. e. netscape), without any
path.

The other options should need no modification unless you do unusual
things on installing GRASS. The defaults (path: $GISBASE/documents/html,
you see probably /usr/local/grass-5.0b/documents/html; prefix file:;
postfix .html) should be ok.

In the long term i plan to include a html-widget in tcltkgrass for
navigating the complete documentation system of GRASS. But this is
currently only an idea and would require to convert the existing
nroff-documentation to html and integrate this with the html-man-pages.

cu,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net