[GRASSLIST:1178] Re: Newbie Q

Ben-Nes Michael miki at canaan.co.il
Fri Nov 24 08:23:54 EST 2000

Stefano Maffulli wrote:

> hi
>
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> > Now im confused.
> >
> > You mean that i will build the information on GRASS then show it on mapserver
> > ?
>
> that depends on the quality and format of the data you have. If they are
> ready to be put in mapserver then you don't need GRASS.
> What data do you have? in what format?

I have maps on paper and some in coreldrow 8 file (layers of
roads,lakes,settelments)

> also consider that calculating the shortest path in a network is
> something that is not trivial. I don't know if there is a module in
> GRASS that can do it.
>
> > What I didn't sow on mapserver option is layers.
>
> I am not an expert of mapserver, but I think that you can visualize more
> than a layer.
>
> > can GRASS stand lots of queries every min ?
>
> I remember that there was once a page using cgi to query GRASS trough a
> web server. I think you could setup a grass server too, but I am not
> sure about the performances.
> Afaik there is no off-the-shelf tool that finds the shortest path either

I dont think there will be problem to call GRASS from php4 then call "convert
somemap.ppm somemap.png" and show it on the browser

> > What is hard to understand for me is ?
> > How do I transfer the map into grass.
> > I read the manual and tried the v.in.dxf & importing png but I find the
> > v.digit very hard to use.
>
> that is a tough question: GRASS is pretty complex and complicate too,
> take some time to read the tutorials first, then jump on importing dxf
> and referening images.
>
> > Cant I manipulate the raster/vector on other programs and then return it to
> > GRASS ?
>
> yes, you can, depending on what other programs are. Other GIS are fine,
> as CAD are ok. How much experience do you have on GIS?

None on gis
have knowledge on photoshop, coreldorw, autocad.
The best thing to me (if it can be done)
Digitize/scan map on coreldraw8 then convert to dfx/png (or something) file and
import it to grass (with some manipulation if needed).
I want a very good detail map, that the surfer will have the option to show the map
with roads,lakes,B&B or what ever order or map set he like

> > Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> >
> > > hi there
> > >
> > > for the delivery of maps over the web you may give a look at
> > > "mapserver". For digitalize and build the data GRASS is a good choice.
> > >
> > > In the free software you can find lots of options. I suggest you to give
> > > a look at http://freegis.org for THE selection of gis-related
> > > free software.
> > >
> > > bye

Canaan Surfing Ltd.