NVIZ under Solaris?

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Oct 18 11:35:18 EDT 2000

Hi,
I'm posting to the list in case other folks share the same question. I'm
using the Solaris binary release for GRASS 5.0 beta 8, and would like to
incorporate NVIZ. Although the man page and the tcltkgrass module are
there, the program itself does not appear to be. Is there a compiled
version of NVIZ for Solaris floating around, or will I have to compile
myself?

Also, g.manual appears to be broken in this particular binary release (I
ended up stealing the appropriate executables from beta 7). I get the
following:
GRASS 5.0beta8 > g.manual g.list
sh: /proj/grass4.1/grass5.0/grass5.0beta_sol26/man/1/g.list: cannot
execute

Finally, I'd like to throw out some thoughts on 5.0. I've been using
GRASS for eight years, and just started teaching a class using 5.0. I'm
finding the whole null value issue to be a real hassle: some frequently
used commands do not work as expected with either nulls or zeroes,
depending on the command. Example: r.buffer doesn't treat zero as nulls
anymore (contrary to documentation), yet r.null doesn't work on
reclassed files, requiring two additional steps if you want to buffer
from a reclassed file. I'm seriously considering reverting to version
4.x, as the ease of use greatly surpasses the additional functionality
of version 5.0 for me. Will these issues be addressed in the "stable"
release, or are they inherent to the product? Thoughts, comments? If
you're replying to this part of the message only, I guess we should
change the subject :)

Regards,
	-Malcolm Williamson
	 CAST - Unversity of Arkansas