Running grass through Xwindows on a Solaris Server?

Will Stafford stafford at derm.gov.sk.ca
Wed Sep 13 14:25:55 EDT 2000

Hi guys
With respect to GRASS through a PC XSERVER this is how we have it set up

We moved away from XVision to Goglobal because of cost differences and in my
opinion there is a real speed increase in the display time using goglobsal
verses xvision.

I have been running Grass across a t-1 line for several hours and found it
just slightly slower than a local machine.
My station and the server were 450 km a part.

The only unquie thing we had to do was setting golgobal host on the sun to
use XDM so that we could choose which desktop we wanted.
Grass works best with openwindows verses CDE.  In CDE the colours go wacko
when displaying a map. ( I know its colour map problem)

The other part would be that each student would need to have there own login
so that the grass single user lock can be worked around.