[GRASSLIST:1711] Re: clustering

Lars Bromley lbromley at aaas.org
Fri Apr 6 17:54:52 EDT 2001

MOSIX looks like it might allow me to run GRASS on a cluster without recompiling GRASS for multiple processors, am I right?

I will indeed be trying this in the next week or so. I will be sure to report to the list what happens. Luckily, I work in a large bloated office environment which is fully caught up in perpetual windows upgrades, so older PCs are one thing I have plenty of. Actual GIS education, heck no, but old computers, no problem ;)

Lars

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Eric Hillmuth wrote:

> I had been following the clustering discussion a few days ago and ran across
> this site today:
>
> http://www.mosix.org/
>
> I wonder how useful this kind of clustering framework would be for GRASS
> applications. It seems pretty straightforward to set up.

Eric,

  It certainly looks impressively easy! Now, if I had the spare cash to set
up a bunch of linux boxes in a rack, I could test it. :-)

  Worth looking at it detail, I suggest.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President