[GRASSLIST:2320] Problem compiling GRASS5pre1 on Mandrake 8.0

Steve Trick TrickSG1 at Cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 12:39:03 EDT 2001

Dear Grasslisters,

I am having some problems compiling GRASS5.0pre1 on my Linux box
which is running Mandrake 8.0:

When I am at the 'configure' stage of installation the script reports that
it is having problems finding the zlibs.  This still occurs even when I
point the configure script to where the libraries appear to be on my
system - /usr/lib/.  It also has the same problem finding the TIFF
libraries.

I then go on to have problems when I run 'make'.  I see the following
error when each module is compiled:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [/opt/grass5sources/grass5.0.0pre1/dist.i686-pc-linux-
gnu/etc/front.end] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/grass5sources/grass5.0.0pre1/src/front.end'
GISGEN failure at STEP: src/front.endG

I'm not a UNIX expert so I apologise if I am missing something
obvious!  Can anybody help?

Many thanks,

Steve

-----------------------------------