[GRASSLIST:2346] Re: r.out.tiff help

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Aug 15 21:08:37 EDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:12:52PM -0400, Kevin Slover wrote:
> I am having some problem with the r.out.tiff command.  I am trying to
> export an image to tiff, and then view it using either corel photoshop
> or even registering it with MapInfo...
> when using the 24bit output, the file is written, however, the image is
> dominately black.  The image can be partially seen underneath the
> black.  The black itself is solid in MapInfo with none of the actual
> image visible, and in Corel, it is stripped, with part of the image
> seen.
> I tried the 8bit output, but that just completely failed, no image
> whatsoever...
>
> Is there a compatability issue between Linux (i am running rh7.1) and
> Win98??  Or is there a problem with the GRASS command??

Shouldn't be any compatibility issue... So...

*  Output is based on the color rules for the given raster.  So, how
   does d.rast look?  If it looks dark, there's an answer...

*  Are you using the "tiled" output option?  Not all TIFF readers can
   handle tiles...

*  Are you using "deflate" compression?  Seems there's more than one
   interpretation of how this method is implemented (i.e. there's an
   Adobe variant...).

*  Please post the commands you tried and any diagnostic outputs.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>