[GRASSLIST:2746] Re: compiling grass and gd includes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Dec 6 01:46:32 EST 2001

cmbarton wrote:

> Thanks for all the help you have  offered. I am still working on
> compiling grass and nearing the end of the compile script--finally. But
> I have run into a very perplexing problem. The configuration script
> looks for freetype2 (ft2build.h) and can't find it.
>
> I have these libraries and this file. I put in the correct path to this
> file in my with-includes= and with-libs= flags. Then, I tried putting in
> a flag specifically for freetype (see below for both). It still can't
> find the file. I am beginning to suspect a problem with the configure
> script, but can't ferret it out.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Not really. It would help if you could send me the relevant sections
of the config.log file. It should include lines similar to:

configure:8399: checking whether to use FreeType
configure:8418: checking for location of FreeType includes
configure:8444: checking for ft2build.h
configure:8452: gcc -E   -I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2 conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:8486: checking for location of FreeType library
configure:8511: checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype
configure:8528: gcc -o conftest -g -O2     -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lfreetype   1>&5

plus any error messages.

> Also, I have had to put in --without-blas and --without-lapack.

That *is* a bug in configure; these were meant to be off by default
(along with freetype and motif). I've committed a fix to CVS.

> What are these?

BLAS is the Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms library, and LAPACK is
the Linear Algebra Package. AFAIK, neither of these are actually used
at present.

> sudo ./configure --prefix=/sw/grass5 --with-includes="/sw/include
> /usr/include" --with-libs="/sw/lib /usr/lib" --with-gdal=/sw/lib

Note: If an argument is passed to --with-gdal, it should be the path
to the "gdal-config" script, e.g. "--with-gdal=/sw/bin/gdal-config".