[GRASSLIST:2801] r.in.tiff

ulf at mail.zmt.uni-bremen.de ulf at mail.zmt.uni-bremen.de
Tue Dec 18 17:34:29 EST 2001

Trying to import a greyscale TIF file (24 bit colour depth), I get the
following message:

 GRASS:~/daten/gis/grass > r.in.tiff input=BANDA1.TIF output=band1
 ERROR: Only handle 1-channel gray scale or 3-channel color. Try -f switch.

Anyway, r.in.tiff does not accept a "-f" switch (does it come from an
internally used r.in.bin?). What are your recommendations in respect
to this error?

The TIF file originates from a satellit image in a particular format
but was extracted using a utility coming with the image. In theory, I
also could use the original files (1 byte per pixel, 3200 rows, 3520
lines, 512 byte header). Do I have to cut the header of 512 byte with
a self-made program to use r.in.bin, or is there another import
facility I could use?

Many thanks for your help, Ulf