[GRASSLIST:1362] Re: gis_set.tcl error

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Sun Jan 14 22:35:01 EST 2001

Hi Peter

Peter Brewer wrote:
> When I go to run GRASS I just get one empty window with 'gis_set.tcl'
> in the title bar.  All I can do with it is close it which gives the
> following error message in the terminal window:
>
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE: parameter null or not set
>
> I'm new to both GRASS and Linux so its likely to be a simple operator
> fault!

The problem is that your $HOME/.grassrc5 file is corrupt. To fix this
simply delete the $HOME/.grassrc5 file and run grass5 again. This will
prompt you with the old text interface to set the location and mapset,
but the next time you run grass5, the interface will be TclTk. Please
let me know if you have any other problems starting Grass.

BTW, if you used the grass5 beta 10 sources then do NOT use any of the
"make clean" targets:

make mostlyclean
make clean
make distclean
make maintainer-clean
make savebinclean

They contain a serious bug that can delete system files not related to
Grass. If you installed the binaries though, you can ignore this
warning.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th