[GRASSLIST:1387] Re: problems connecting to database via odbc & v.reclass.pg problems

mlennert at club.worldonline.be mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jan 23 06:32:13 EST 2001

It is a problem between Postgres and ODBC since DataManager doesn't work. I've
looked into the postmaster -i problem, but debian seems to handle this
differently via a postmaster.init file, in which there is a variable
PGALLOWTCPIP=yes. I've tried stopping the postmaster and restarting it by
simply typing postmaster -i, but this didn't change anything.
But I guess this is too far off-topic. I'll try to find the solution in the
Postgres / Debian mailing lists...

As to the postgres modules, they are great, but there still seems to be an
inconsisteny in the v.reclass.pg html-page. In the text, sql queries are
mentioned, but in the "synopsis" section the keyword is 'pql'. Then in the
description of the keywords, no mention of pql, but of sql. In the example,
the same problem again:

"v.reclass.pg sql=vect.sql key=tlid input=t.roads.pg out­put=t.roads.12

vect.pql: retrieve unique (t.tlid,t.cfcc) from t in type1
where cfcc ~ "A1"
sort by tlid"

So, if someone could explain, what I should use, sql or pql...

Also, I do not find the explanation of the 'where' parameter very clear. How
should this be formulated exactly ? And if I understand correctly, I can only
extract one set of data if I use this option, i.e. I can only create one
category.

I find the odbc reclass much easier to use, but this might just be my lack of
understanding of v.reclass.pg

More generally, I like the idea of having one interface (odbc) which I can use
in several programs, such as Grass, R, etc...

Moritz