[GRASSLIST:2138] U.S. Census Tiger Files 2000...

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Jul 20 21:33:46 EDT 2001

If anyone would confirm that GRASS 5.0 can't import TIGER 2000 files
properly, I would appreciate it.

Apparently, the Census Bureau has changed the format of some of the
TIGER files slightly for the 2000 series.  From my simple trials,
these changes don't affect v.in.tig.basic, but do break v.in.tig.lndmk.

Also, I guess we aren't really supporting the RIM database with GRASS
5.0?  Are people using this?  I haven't heard much about its use for a
while, so I'm not sure if it's desireable to continue supporting it
directly in v.in.tig.lndmk.

What do people prefer for managing the attributes?  If I were to rewrite
this to support 2000 files, would delimited ASCII dumps be acceptable
(keyed via TLID, etc..).  I've still a bit of homework to do on the file
formats...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>