[GRASSLIST:2203] Re: Another problem with r.proj

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sat Jul 28 16:37:18 EDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:42:55PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
[snip]
>   If I understand the error message correctly, it's telling us two things:
> 1) this is the actual source of the error and not a red herring because the
> code has no case for the real error, and 2) the problem is finding the
> _output_ projection information, not the _input_ information. The output
> projection information was created by r.in.gdal when it imported an
> SDTS-format DEM ... which makes me wonder:

Okay.  I just projected a portion of a tm scene from utm 11 to state
plane 27 using r.proj, and it worked fine.  So.  I'm going to guess that
r.in.gdal didn't quite get something right.  Try running g.setproj on
your output location and see if that helps.

>   The first file I'm trying to convert is a map of the PLSS (Public Land
> Survey System. It _may_ be that the bounds of the PLSS map exceed that of
> the DEM map. Would that cause r.proj to fail with an error sequence of:
>
> cannot initialize pj
> cause: projection not named
> ERROR: Can't get projection key values of output map

No. r.proj has a different message if the source and destination regions
do not overlap.

>   I'll be happy to supply copies of my data (source and destination) for
> anyone who wants to verify this behavior. By the same token, if it works for
> someone else, then that suggests a problem somewhere else in GRASS.

Well.  Try the g.setproj first.  If that fails, then let's see about
looking at the data sets.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>