[GRASSLIST:1920] Re: problem with grass5

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Thu Jun 7 02:05:30 EDT 2001

Hello Michele

michele.rocc at libero.it wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I dowloaded Grass5.0.0pre1 precompiled binaries from
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/;
> made a CD (from a windows system) and tried to install into linux but
> something goes wrong with the gzip compression, it seems, because an
> error occours and a message tell me that it's not a valid tar.gz
> archive. Maybe there is some sagacity wile creating the CDRom to
> maintain the portability between win and linux sistem?

I just found this problem. The problem is that the person who uploaded
the binaries to the Germany server did not upload the appropriate
grass5install.sh program as well. When the binaries are created, the
size of the resulting tar.gz file is stored in the grass5install.sh
program. This is done in order to check that the download of the binary
file was successful. Thus both the tar.gz file and the install program
need to be uploaded. So, the current grass5install.sh file is an old one
for a previous binary.

If you don't want to wait for the grass5install.sh program to be updated
on the server, you can edit your copy of the grass5install.sh file to
make it work. Around line 25 you should find the following line

TAR_FILE_SIZE=31113631

Change it to the following

TAR_FILE_SIZE=30366360

Now the grass5install.sh program should work.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center