[GRASSLIST:1938] Re: Web Aplication - Grass / Mapserver

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 11 10:31:03 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 09:53:52AM -0400, Lars Bromley wrote:
> Mapserver is the best open source and free tool I know of

> I am interested to know of more mapserver type software, so hopefully someone knows something more...

Have you checked the entries on freegis.org?
Especially MapIt! developed for Logiball is suitable for some tasks.
	http://www.mapit.de/mapit.en.html

There are also several java-applet like solutions.

> If im not mistaken mapserver use shp files of ESRI.

It uses this format.

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/html/v.out.shape.html

> I also like to update the maps latter with php4 through Grass, Can it be
> achieved ?

Yes. I have not done it, but php4 is s full-blown programming
language, you can trigger any processing with it.
(I generally do not recommend it, though, but this is a different OT story.)

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)